The aim of this cross-cutting theme is to assess and enhance the national context for supporting livestock policies and institutions. We will work with diverse stakeholders in all five target countries to identify and address knowledge gaps, promote effective mechanisms for dialogue and consultation, and convene engaging platforms for information and knowledge sharing to support the formulation or implementation of policies that improve the performance and sustainability of livestock systems.
In particular, we will:
- Support policy processes:
- Strengthen the capacity of researchers and in-country actors for communicating key research findings more effectively to policy makers and contributing to ongoing policy dialogues.
- Work closely with local actors to develop a partnership model directed at creating and strengthening sustainable networks between livestock sector stakeholders with particular attention to private sector engagement.
- Conduct technical analyses:
- Evaluate and monitor the extent to which research activities supported by the Lab contribute to building multi-stakeholder partnerships and enabling environments in selected target countries.
- Conduct political economy analyses or other expert reviews of the impact of existing or potential policies on animal-source food production, food safety, and consumption.
The work builds on Phase I partnerships and seeks to collaborate with other initiatives, including the Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Security Policy Research, Capacity, and Influence.
This theme collaborates with all three areas of inquiry as well as the other cross cutting themes. For example, it will help create more inclusive opportunities for women and youth to participate in stakeholder meetings and to inform policy making.
Under the list of Resources on this page, note the links about a free course on Engaging Stakeholders.
Engaging Stakeholders Course
Free! Click here to access a course on "How to Keep Stakeholders Engaged in Your Research Project" from the University of Florida. To view the course's videos on YouTube, select a playlist language:
Learn more about this course by visiting Engaging Stakeholders Course, including detailed instructions on how to enroll.
Serra, R., Kiker, G.A., Minten, B. Valerio, V.C., Varijakshapanicker, P. A and Wane, A. 2020. Filling knowledge gaps to strengthen livestock policies in low-income countries. Global Food Security, Volume 26, 100428, ISSN 2211-9124, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gfs.2020.100428
- Research Brief. September 2020. Livestock Stakeholders in Ethiopia: Network Connections and Policy Priorities
- Videos: Bridging Research and Policy through Engagement and Communication
- Burkina Faso: Enabling Policies for Livestock Brief
- Ethiopia: Enabling Policies for Livestock Brief
- Nepal: Enabling Policies for Livestock Brief
- Niger: Enabling Policies for Livestock Brief
- Rwanda: Enabling Policies for Livestock Brief
- Das, A.K., Pyakuryal, K., Sharma, M.D., and Upreti, B.R. 2019. Prospects of Establishing a Land-Grant University Model: Policy Paper on the Agriculture and Forestry University of Nepal
- Serra, R. and Nyangaga, J. 2019. Joint sharing and planning for improved livestock policies. Report on the Policy Roundtable workshop in Rwanda.
The Enabling Environment team is led by Dr. Renata Serra.